Banana Breakfast Cake – Quinoa and Chia
I have copied this from a recipe i found on the living safe website www.livingsafe.com.au It is just amazing and is a great substitute for breakfast cereals. Imagine telling the kids they can have cake for breakfast!
- 4 organic free range eggs
- 1 cup organic rice milk (or milk of choice ie almond, soy, cows)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 5 table spoons of raw sugar (i added about half this amount and it was still great, i had just run out at the time of testing it)
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 7 Tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1.5 Cups of cooked quinoa (red or white)
- 3.5 Cups of wholemeal spelt flour (or you can choose any flour)
- 4 small bananas mashed
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking soda
- Beat eggs and mash bananas with a fork
- add oil, rice milk, chia seeds and cooked quinoa.
- In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon, sugar, baking soda and sift in flour. Mix well with a fork.
- This mixture makes enough for two rectangle cake loaf tins.
- Bake for 45 mins on 175 degrees celsius.
NOTE: This cake is heavy and dense, more a bread than cake. This also works well frozen.